The Ogden Pioneer Days Committee and the Eccles Art Center are pleased to announce the annual Traces of the West Competition will be on exhibit this July.
The Traces of the West Competition is a celebration of the beauty and history of the Western United States. Artists will be asked to submit artwork depicting any aspect of the Western United States, including (but not limited to) western landscapes, Native American tribes and peoples, cowboys, cowgirls, indigenous wildlife and domestic animals.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRY: JUNE 30th, 2023
ELIGIBILITY & ENTRIES
- This competition is open to all artists who presently reside in the state of Utah.
- Original works in any medium including paintings, prints, monoprints, drawings, graphics, pottery, sculptures, textiles are eligible. REPRODUCTION PRINTS such as gicleé ARE NOT ELIGIBLE.
- Photography is NOT ELIGIBLE for entry into this competition.
- Work must have been completed within the past two years and must not have been previously exhibited in a juried exhibit sponsored by the Eccles Art Center.
- Artists are limited to a total of two entries.
- Works consisting of multiple parts are not recommended, and may be entered as a single work only if each of the parts cannot exist as a complete work by itself.
- Entries must be ready to hang, mounted, matted and framed, or otherwise ready in exhibition condition, ready to sell. Entries in clip frames will not be accepted.
- 2-DIMENSIONAL WORK MUST INCLUDE A WIRE OR SIMILAR HANGING SYSTEM ON THE BACK. Works will not be accepted with only alligator hardware, D-ring, V-ring or keyhole hangers under any circumstances. Clip frames will not be accepted.
All Entries should be dropped of at the Eccles Art Center during any of the following days/times:
Monday - Friday, June 26 - 30, 10:00 am - 4:30 pm
Drop off location:
Eccles Art Center
2580 Jefferson Avenue
Ogden, Utah 84401
Work will not be accepted after 4:30 p.m. on Friday, June 30, 2023
Every reasonable precaution will be taken to protect work submitted. Work not accepted must be retrieved by July 7, 2023. Works accepted may be retrieved on July 31, 2023. Work left at the Art Center after those dates, is at the artist’s own risk and storage charges may accrue. Works left at the Center for over 60 days will be deemed abandoned and disposed of at the Board’s discretion. The Eccles Art Center does not accept responsibility for works damaged due to incorrect or poor framing.
- A price or insurance value may be indicated for all items entered.
- Listing your piece for sale is encouraged, but not required.
- The Eccles Art Center will retain a 35% commission on sales.
- Works not for sale should be marked "NFS" upon entry.
ENTRY FEES & FORMS
$10.00 per entry for non-members
$5.00 per entry for members of the Art Center. *Members at the "Artist Membership" level are eligible for one free entry into this competition
- Entry fees are used for prize money and publicity and are non-refundable.
- Entries must be clearly identified by the artist with title, medium and price/insurance value. Identification tags will be provided at the time of entry.
- Notification of jury results will be emailed to the address you provide.
- Work not accepted should be picked up on or before July 7, 2023 between the hours of 10:00 a.m. & 3:00 p.m.
- Works accepted for exhibit and not sold should be picked up July 31, 2023 between the hours of 10:00 a.m. & 3:00 p.m.
- See LIABILITY section for insurance restrictions and storage charge notice.
Best of Show: $500
Honorable Mentions (5 Total): $100
People's Choice: $200
OPENING RECEPTION & EXHIBIT
An open house reception for artists, friends and the community will be held on Friday, July 7, 2023 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Art Center. Awards will be posted online and posted in the gallery that evening. The exhibit will continue through July 29, 2023.
This exhibition is sponsored by Ogden Pioneer Days and the Eccles Art Center